[exim] Sender verify rejection

Author: Dermot Paikkos
To: Exim-users
CC:
Subject: [exim] Sender verify rejection
Hi,

Our primary mx is exim 3.16 and I am having trouble with a remote
host rejecting my mail. The receiving host is running exim 4.43.
the error is:

SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<dermot@???>
SIZE=1762: host mail.theirdomain.com [ipadd]: 451-Could not complete
sender verify callout\r 451-Could not complete sender verify callout
for <dermot@???>.\r 451-The mail server(s) for the domain
may be temporarily unreachable, or\r 451-they may be permanently
unreachable from this server. In the latter case,\r 451-you need to
change the address or create an MX record for its domain\r 451-if it
is supposed to be generally accessible from the Internet.\r 45 Talk
to your mail administrator for details.: retry timeout exceeded

If I use my exim 4.43 test server, all is well.

According to the admin of the remote server:

"One thing, yourmailserver does not give mymailserver an smtp banner
(ESMTP Exim 3.16 #3 Fri, 04 Mar 2005). However it does give other
hosts the banner."

Could this be the reason for the sender verify failing? If so does
anyone know why a banner is not sent for a particular host? I know
that the exim version is old. I have an upgrade planned for later
this year but in the meantime I want to keep the service going.

This is a repeat post which I apologise for but I think the ealier
post was very similar to a post on sender verify and I suspect the
list thougth it was dealt with already.

Thanx.
Dp.