Re: [exim] unroutable address root@localhost

Autor: kmb
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] unroutable address root@localhost

Timo Neuvonen Wrote:
> > >I guess my acl already accepts messages from 127.0.0.1, so the
> problem
> would
> > >be to handle "localhost" in a proper way?
> >
> > It is a bad idea to try delivering e-mail to root. alias root to a
> > non-root mailbox. An exim compiled with the default compile-time
> > settings will refuse to deliver e-mail to root by virtue of the
> > FIXED_NEVER_USERS setting.
> >
> Why is it a bad idea to _accept_ mail _addressed_ to root (for delivery
> to a
> non-root user), if some service in own computer needs to send it?
> (this is what I tried to ask, sorry if the question was written in a
> too
> careless way)
>
> What is a bad idea instead, is to run mail delivery as root, but I
> think
> there's no reason to do so since /etc/alias tells to whom this mail
> should
> actually be delivered. If alias file tells to deliver it to a regular
> user,
> what makes the difference to any other mail?
>
> So, to start my question over, without a need to unnecessarily get
> stuck
> with magic word "root":
> Some service in my own computer would send me mail to timo@localhost
> instead
> of using FQDN. How can I make exim 4.50 to accept this? Anyway, I don't
> want
> to open new doors for spammers sending me something with to-address set
> xxx@localhost

The issue isn't root or the aliase file, it is that Exim does not now
how to deliver mail to a domain called localhost. I would suggest
that you determine why the process is sending to localhost and not to
the FQD or FQ host name or for that matter just to root without the
@anything. Do a uname -a and see what your host thinks it's name is.
I'm going to guess that is is "localhost" but even if it comes back as
the correct host name if it is not listed in the config as a domain or
host that you accept mail for Exim will pass it to the DNS router and
it will not resolve with a Route for that system ... therefore
undeliverable!