[exim] Re: unroutable address root@localhost

Autor: Timo Neuvonen
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] Re: unroutable address root@localhost
> >I guess my acl already accepts messages from 127.0.0.1, so the problem
would
> >be to handle "localhost" in a proper way?
>
> It is a bad idea to try delivering e-mail to root. alias root to a
> non-root mailbox. An exim compiled with the default compile-time
> settings will refuse to deliver e-mail to root by virtue of the
> FIXED_NEVER_USERS setting.

Why is it a bad idea to _accept_ mail _addressed_ to root (for delivery to a
non-root user), if some service in own computer needs to send it?
(this is what I tried to ask, sorry if the question was written in a too
careless way)

What is a bad idea instead, is to run mail delivery as root, but I think
there's no reason to do so since /etc/alias tells to whom this mail should
actually be delivered. If alias file tells to deliver it to a regular user,
what makes the difference to any other mail?

So, to start my question over, without a need to unnecessarily get stuck
with magic word "root":
Some service in my own computer would send me mail to timo@localhost instead
of using FQDN. How can I make exim 4.50 to accept this? Anyway, I don't want
to open new doors for spammers sending me something with to-address set to
xxx@localhost

It propably can't be done by simply expanding localhost to default fully
qualified name, since it would allow a lot of spam from foreign MTAs.
Conditionally rewriting localhost to something else sounds a little bit
complicated for this purpose. I guess there should be an easy way to do
this...

--
TiN