Re: [exim] I think I want to switch from mbox to maildir on …

Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: Matthew Exon
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] I think I want to switch from mbox to maildir on Debian. How do I do that?
On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 11:47 +0100, Matthew Exon wrote:
> Wow, I sent this message and it just disappeared into the bitbucket
> apparently. No bounce no nothing. At least, I can't see it in the
> online archives. Or maybe I missed it, and no-one bothered replying?
> I've subscribed to the list now, maybe that helps...

The original message was put in the moderation queue - because you were
not a subscriber. You were sent an automatic notification message
regarding that. In this case it took a while until someone dealt with
it because I was busy over the w/e (it arrived after I left Friday) and
none of the other moderators picked it up (presumably for similar
reasons).

> > I have a problem with Mozilla Thunderbird. I can't delete mail folders
> > that I've created, and I can't create subfolders of a normal folder -
> > although I can create "special" greyed out folders by ending their name
> > with a slash, which are allowed to contain other folders, but not email.

Thats a thunderbird problem. Bit difficult to get support for that on
an exim list.

> > What I've discovered so far is that I probably want to change from
> > "mbox" format to "maildir" format. This is hopefully flexible enough to
> > cope with subfolders. From the sounds of it, maildir is the best format
> > for all but a tiny minority of situations, so I'd be interested to know
> > why Debian set me up using mbox by default in the first place, but
> > anyway...

mbox is basically the unix default. Maildir is a good format but
supported by a minority of applications. I think your reason for
changing is probably rather spurious.

> ...and in a bit of followup, yesterday I tried just upgrading from exim
> to exim4. Hoo boy, I'm never doing that again! Exim just refused to
> deliver anything and I went a whole day without receiving any email.
> Even if I tried to send mail from my local machine, the email ended up
> "Frozen" (I've replaced my username with "<username>" in the following):
>
> 2005-03-07 11:00:05 Received from <username>@exon.dyndns.org
> U=<username> P=local S=335
> 2005-03-07 11:00:05 <username>@exon.dyndns.org R=dnslookup defer (-1):
> remote host address is the local host

Basically your box doesn't know its own name (or more specifically local
mail domains), and so you are trying to send locally destined messages
out to a remote box - while the DNS says that your box is responsible
for them. Suggest you try the Debian Exim4 list as thats more likely to
be directly relevant to you:-
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/pkg-exim4-users