Re: [exim] I think I want to switch from mbox to maildir onD…

Autor: Matthew Exon
A: Johannes Berg
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] I think I want to switch from mbox to maildir onDebian. How do I do that?
Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Mo, 2005-03-07 at 11:47 +0100, Matthew Exon wrote:
>
>>Wow, I sent this message and it just disappeared into the bitbucket
>>apparently. No bounce no nothing. At least, I can't see it in the
>>online archives. Or maybe I missed it, and no-one bothered replying?
>>I've subscribed to the list now, maybe that helps...
>

> Archives are probably not fast enough, the message came through. And it
> *just* arrived here, so it was apparently held somewhere:

It just arrived here too, so I suspect that it was held up until some
system somewhere verified that I was subscribed to the list.

>         by sesame.csx.cam.ac.uk with esmtp (Exim 4.44) id 1D7HEV-00017h-QM for
>         exim-users@???; Fri, 04 Mar 2005 18:09:07 +0000

> Dunno why. Anyway, after cross-reading the dovecot discussion (yeah, I
> hang out there too) I think that you just have to enable the
> maildir_home transport instead of the mail_spool transport in the
> debconf questions.

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Except one question - which
package? I've just discovered the reason why, for the last six years of
using Debian, dpkg-reconfigure never seemed to re-ask questions like
it's supposed to:

charly:~# dpkg-reconfigure exim4
charly:~#

Doesn't do anything. Because I'm meant to type dpkg-reconfigure
exim4-config. Obvious when you see it, unbelievably not obvious when
you don't. There are many, many packages where the actual, important
configuration is kept in a dependent package somewhere, not in the base
package. Gaah! OK, so much for exim4. Now I've reverted to exim, I
still don't know what to reconfigure:

charly:~# dpkg-reconfigure exim
charly:~#

There don't seem to be any other exim packages installed, apart from
documentation. Also, debconf doesn't seem to have any way to browse or
search the list of settings I've chosen, across all packages.

Thanks,
Mat