Re: [exim] Defer as a spam filter

Author: Christian Balzer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Defer as a spam filter

Hello,

Just to address the OP first, Mirapoint is selling a fire and forget
product. No brains required, just big wallets. One could buy much
worse, but it doesn't scale too well and you'd likely be better
(and lots cheaper) off with what you have now and maybe some further
improvements.

As for greylisting, our users pay us a premium for it. :P

All our spam filtering is optional and highly configurable, so people
who don't want to deal with the potential delays, well, they don't have
to.

Alas our greylisting utilizes a number of features to keep false positives
to an absolute minimum (see http://users.aber.ac.uk/auj/spam/ for the
respective greylisting implementation we based ours on, it's rather neat).
And about 2 weeks after it's introduction (and thus bi-directional database
seeding) the false positives had become quite rare.

Greylisting (or for that matter, ANY kind of filtering) is something that
you don't want to shove down somebody's throat, but it's quite effective
for those who understand and can live with the potential consequences.

Regards,

Christian Balzer
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi@???       Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services