Re: [exim] make log timestamp optional?

Author: Mike Sturdee
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] make log timestamp optional?
Reason for not having exim logging the timestamp is because
/var/log/exim/mainlog and the others are pipes which syslog-ng is
listening on (which will add timestamp). Reason I need to do it that way
is to get around FreeBSD's 1024 byte limit with the syslog(3) library
function used by exim in it's syslog implementation.

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Mike Sturdee wrote:
>
>> I have a need for exim to log w/o the timestamp like "syslog_timestamp =
>> false", but for the main/reject/panic logs.
>
> <snip>
>
>> Would it be possible to add a configure toggle option to the exim dist for
>> this?
>
> This seems to me to be a very esoteric requirement. Log files without
> timestamps lose a lot of their usefulness.
>
> Having said that, my reaction to the suggestion is to say that adding
> more and more special-purpose logging things is not in the Grand Plan.
> Instead, there is a Wish List item to add some kind of filtering feature
> for log lines so that sysadmins can fiddle around with them as they
> wish.

> (15) 01-Jan-02 M More hooks like local_scan()
>
> One request has been for a similar hook at logging time. For other SMTP
> interactions, maybe a hook into the ACL? See also 79 and 218 and 301.
> (301) 27-Oct-04 M Use an "ACL" to filter logging
>
> This idea was for ACL syntax to be able to "accept" or "deny" individual log
> lines. This would make it possible to have, for example, per-host logging for
> certain things. See also 15 above.
>
> There are a number of other logging suggestions that could probably all
> be accommodated by some kind of sysadmin-controlled filter.
>

> --
> Philip Hazel            University of Cambridge Computing Service,
> ph10@???      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.
> Get the Exim 4 book:    http://www.uit.co.uk/exim-book

-Mike