Re: [exim] make log timestamp optional?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Mike Sturdee
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] make log timestamp optional?
On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Mike Sturdee wrote:

> I have a need for exim to log w/o the timestamp like "syslog_timestamp =
> false", but for the main/reject/panic logs.

<snip>

> Would it be possible to add a configure toggle option to the exim dist for
> this?

This seems to me to be a very esoteric requirement. Log files without
timestamps lose a lot of their usefulness.

Having said that, my reaction to the suggestion is to say that adding
more and more special-purpose logging things is not in the Grand Plan.
Instead, there is a Wish List item to add some kind of filtering feature
for log lines so that sysadmins can fiddle around with them as they
wish.

(15) 01-Jan-02 M More hooks like local_scan()

One request has been for a similar hook at logging time. For other SMTP
interactions, maybe a hook into the ACL? See also 79 and 218 and 301.
(301) 27-Oct-04 M Use an "ACL" to filter logging

This idea was for ACL syntax to be able to "accept" or "deny" individual log
lines. This would make it possible to have, for example, per-host logging for
certain things. See also 15 above.

There are a number of other logging suggestions that could probably all
be accommodated by some kind of sysadmin-controlled filter.