Re: [exim] Re: Thoughts on Open Relays

Author: Marc Perkel
To: Dean Brooks
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Thoughts on Open Relays

Dean Brooks wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 03:42:49PM -0800, Marilyn Davis wrote:
>

>>If some people you know would like to relay through you, you can
>>provide that for them without being open to everyone.
>>
>>Unless I'm missing some point here?
>>

>Nope, you're not missing anything. The original poster could indeed
>use SMTP AUTH to completely provide the service he wants to provide,
>without creating an open relay, but apparantely gets more enjoyment
>out of trolling this list than actually taking anyone suggestions.
>
>However, I now see that his motivation has recently degraded into
>paranoia of wire-tapping. Each hour that passed, his reasons for
>being an open relay has degraded into the more bizarre and illogical.
>
>I guess we should all stop feeding the troll(s).
>
>--
>Dean Brooks
>dean@???

It's not paranoia - I host people who have been wiretapped. You might
have seen in the news where Apple was tapping the email of powerpage.org
for reporting information that Apple didn't want discussed. I now host
them. I also host a last number of political activists.

I do have smtp auth for people who know me who have accounts on my
system. But this service would provide smtp to people who are not
spammers - who don't know me - and don't have accounts on my system. And
I see no hard in it because it is a spam free service. So - I need no
other reason other than I choose to do it.

--
Marc Perkel - marc@???

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com