Re: [exim] Re: Thoughts on Open Relays

Author: Bill Hacker
To: exim
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Thoughts on Open Relays
Matt Fretwell wrote:

> Marc Perkel wrote:
>

>>But the reason spammers use them is to send spam - and this server won't
>>do that.
>

> If you are so confident of your abilities, then please, as requested,
> supply the IP's of the machines this will be running, on so that WE may
> decide our own course of action with regards to this.
>
> Secondly, if you are going to ignore everything anyone says regarding
> this idea, just let the thread die instead of keep responding and
> ignoring.
>

> Matt

Time for a round of strong black coffee... then bed (we hope) for this
thread...

Folks on this list in total run more mail servers than some folks have
had hot meals, handle more spam variants than one person could analyse
in a lifetime.

And test? I'm small fry, but can test among a dozen servers on three
continents - or half that in the same rack. And do so.

Over a score of very expert and experienced folks have tried - at
length, patiently, and apparently in vain - to explain the error of this
open-relay 'plan'.

What's left?    Try this on:

Netcraft.com shows marc.perkel.com primary server on IP 209.237.228.10,
in the netblock of United Layer, Inc. - along with John C. Dvorak's
personal blog and - bit of heartburn here - *twenty one* of apache.org's
servers.

Apache is not my cup of tea, but those are Very Important Servers to the
world at large.

Anyone *really* so foolish as to operate an open relay in that netblock
will be in violation of United Layer's AUP, recently cited as a URL in
this thread... and will no doubt be noticed in a New York Minute.

Should that result in backlisting of the whole IP block, as sometimes
occurs, one or more of the above worthies, who DO read, DO understand
the 'net, and DO care about their continued connectivity, can be
expected to begin a process to figuratively hand the perpetrator certain
key portions of his anatomy.

I would not expect said anatomy to still be 'connected' to anything but
legal fees and large servings of stress.

No responsible sysadmin wants to go there.

Bill Hacker