Re: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim

Autor: Dominik Ruf
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim
* Wakko Warner <wakko@???> [2005-02-18 00:34]:

> I am currently using Debian. However, I took the latest (I think it was
> 4.34) debian source package, exim 4.34, exim 4.43 and extracted to a
> directory. Diffed exim 4.34 and 4.43 then applied that diff to the debian
> one. I removed dependancy from the info files. I also removed the stupid
> Debian-exim user in the config scripts (IMO, this is totally uncalled for.
> What happened to simply exim or mail? I chose to use mail myself).

The question about the account name "mail" for the debian exim package
is not new. E.g. have a look at
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg119233.html

| "mail" is also the account that owns the mail spool, hence all MUAs
| run sgid mail per policy. Running the MTA as mail as well would mean
| that the MTA's queue would have to belong to mail as well, giving MUAs
| read access to the MTA's queue, which is a significant security risk.

| This is the reason why we decided to run exim4 with a non-"mail"
| account.

But maybe you know what you're doing on your systems and this
doesn't apply for your setup.

HTH, Dominik