Re: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim

Author: Wakko Warner
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Debian as a 'Special Case' for Exim
David wrote:
> Hi !!
>
> >>Marc Sherman's suggestion of providing an unadorned Exim configuration
> >>package would be greatly preferable, not just for us but for competent
> >>users too.
>
> we recently install Debian on a new server and tried to configure Exim.
> At the end we totally remove the Exim package and compiled it from
> source (not debian sources). We had been using exim on solaris, redhat,
> suse, etc .. without any problem, but the configuration system for
> Exim in debian is a total nightmare. A really good thing would be to
> have a exim package with only one configuration file and using more
> portable user names (exim instead of debian-exim) as this also breaks
> or complicates replicating the mail folders across non heterogeneus
> computers.

I am currently using Debian. However, I took the latest (I think it was
4.34) debian source package, exim 4.34, exim 4.43 and extracted to a
directory. Diffed exim 4.34 and 4.43 then applied that diff to the debian
one. I removed dependancy from the info files. I also removed the stupid
Debian-exim user in the config scripts (IMO, this is totally uncalled for.
What happened to simply exim or mail? I chose to use mail myself). After I
did my own configurations, I built the package and installed. No bunch of
irritating files, just one nicely written exim4.conf (I don't totally agree
with it being exim4.conf, but I didn't bother changing it) Everything works
just fine.

If exim had the ability to use modules instead of being monolithic (I have
thought about working on this in the past and made a few statments about
it), we wouldn't need debian's -heavy or -light. -heavy sank my boat with
too many dependancies that I don't need and -light wouldn't keep my boat in
the water =)