Re: [exim] auth_hack_outlook4 for Exim4

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] auth_hack_outlook4 for Exim4
Following up to myself...

On 16 Feb 2005 at 17:56, Fred Viles wrote about
    "Re: [exim] auth_hack_outlook4 for E":

| On 17 Feb 2005 at 0:35, Piotr Roszatycki wrote about
|     "Re: [exim] auth_hack_outlook4 for E":

| | I'm sorry. It shouldn't so offensive as it was. I've just spent some time
| | on searching Google and mailing list archives to find a solution for
| | broken OE4.xx SMTP AUTH support. I've found an explanation of Philip Hazel
| | and he was clear that he won't include such support in any case. I'll try
| | to find the URL.
|
| It's the "for some anti-Microsoft reasons" that needs to be
| substantiated.

I should add that while I agree with Philip's rationale for not
accepting the patch, it is a moot point. The fact that it isn't
needed is an even better reason.

| And, FWIW, exim 4.x *does* support such broken MUAs.  No code patch
| neeeded.  Just add this to the end of your list of authenticators:
|
| bogus:
|   driver    = plaintext
|   public_name    = "PRIVATE\n250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN"
|   server_prompts = User Name : Password
|   server_condition = no

Not quite right. With one fix and a couple cosmetic improvements,
that should be:

bogus:
  driver    = plaintext
  public_name    = "\r\n250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN"
  server_prompts = User Name : Password
  server_condition = no

The '\r' is needed for a correct <CR><LF> line ending, but there's no
need for a fake mechanism name. This example also assumes you've
implemented both PLAIN and LOGIN authenticators, at least. CRAM-MD5
doesn't need to be listed on the broken AUTH line, even if you
implement it, since the broken MUAs don't support it anyway (right?).

- Fred