Re: [exim] Penalty Box

Author: Marc Perkel
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Penalty Box
Yes - that is the case. Before this trick I might have been processing
the same spam from the same sender 100 times in an hour. I blocked it
every time - but I still had to use processing power to figure it out.
Now - I only have to look at the message once an hour to get the same
effect.

By clearing it out every hour I keep the list from growing too big and
taking a lot of resources to search the list. And - if there's a mistake
then it only takes an hour to clear ir.

Jim Roberts wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Christian Schmidt"
> <christian@???>
>
>> Hello Marc,
>>
>> Marc Perkel, 15.02.2005 (d.m.y):
>>
>>> So - hw do I limit the time to an hour? It's crud and simple. I have a
>>> cron job that empties the list every hour. Sweet - simple - and it
>>> works.
>>

>> But what if an entry is put into this list five minutes before it (=
>> the list) is "purged" by cron?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Christian Schmidt
>

> I think Marc was presenting a K.I.S.S. approach. He wasn't looking
> for elegant, or optimized, or any of those fancy things. Just
> something easy, simple, and even "crude" as he admits. This is just
> one tool in his arsenal, and if it misses the occasional case, so
> what? Still better than nothing, or, as my dear old Dad put it,
> "better than a sharp stick in the eye." ;)

Also - the initial spam that triggers it has to score 20+ points so this
is for the really spammy stuff. It's just to reduce load for those who
are hammering me.

So - yes - KISS - it gets the job done.

--
Marc Perkel - marc@???