RE: [exim] "Retry Timeout Exceeded" - Mail not getting out

Author: Bruce Best (CRO)
To: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: RE: [exim] "Retry Timeout Exceeded" - Mail not getting out

Sorry, should have explained who was what. example.com was actually the
ultimate recipient's ISP, and example.org the ultimate recipient. My ISP
didn't show up anywhere in the logs. But, as you and Bill thought, I can't
telnet to any mail server outside my ISP.

> I suspect that your ISP is blocking outgoing port 25. You can verify
> this by trying to telnet directly to port 25 on a public MX.
> If so, you should configure exim to use your ISP's mailserver as a
> smarthost. dpkg-recongfigure will give you that option without having to
> edit the config files.

I did this, and am now able to send mail directly from the server. However,
the main purpose of setting up exim was to run a mailing list using mailman
(which is running on the same server as exim), and messages posted to the
mailing list are now being bounced back as undeliverable with this message:

This message could not be delivered to the following
recipients:

<testlist@???>:
0.0.0.0 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 relay not permitted
Giving up.

[testlist@??? being my mailman list, mydomain.org being the domain
name of my server, 0.0.0.0 the static IP address of mydomain.org]

Assuming this is a configuration change I need to make on my machine, I'm
not quite sure what I need to change. One of the configuration questions
from exim4-config is "Machines to relay mail for:", and this is currently
set to my internal network "192.168.2.0/24". It seems I need to make some
other change to the server to run a mailing list with a smarthost?

Thanks,

Bruce