RE: [exim] "Retry Timeout Exceeded" - Mail not getting out

Author: Bruce Best (CRO)
To: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: RE: [exim] "Retry Timeout Exceeded" - Mail not getting out

<snip>
> - Bit it does NOT see you as permitted to use it as a relay host,
> probably does not treat your server as a 'peer', and you are
> apparently not reaching beyond the ISP's router.
> - Try to ping or tenet to port 25 on smtp servers other than your
> connectivity provider, and you will probably find the port blocked by
> the ISP's firewall / router table rules.

Right, this seems to be it. I can telnet to my ISP's mail server on port 25,
but not to any external mail server. If I set up Exim4 to send mail directly
via SMTP, I can't send mail, period. If I set it up to use my ISP as a
smarthost, I can send mail directy from the server using Exim, but can't use
it for mail from within the network or (the only reason I needed the mail
server in the first place) to run a couple of mailman lists.

> A DSL line, even with a static IP, is not 'automagically' the same as
> 'backbone' internet connectivity. Check your ISP's ToS.

I have asked; my ISP actually makes a point of saying "you can run servers",
but there may be more details in the fine print....

Thanks,

B.