Re: [exim] "Retry Timeout Exceeded" - Mail not getting out

Author: Marc Sherman
To: Bruce Best (CRO)
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [exim] "Retry Timeout Exceeded" - Mail not getting out
Bruce Best (CRO) wrote:
> I have recently set up Exim4 (4.44-2) (exim4-daemon-light) on a Debian
> Testing/unstable box, with setup done through "dpkg-reconfigure
> exim4-config". The server is on a box on a DSL line, with a static IP, and
> its own domain name.
>
> I can receive email without any trouble, and can send emails out to any
> email account at the ISP providing the DSL service. Any other emails sent
> from the server, however, are never received. I also don't seem to get any
> notification that they didn't get through (though I'm not entirely sure
> where this information would be sent); the only log entries are in
> /var/log/exim4/mainlog.

[snip]

Please don't strip useful info out of logs -- it somewhat confusing
figuring out if example.com was supposed to be the target recipient of
your message, or your ISP. I think you meant example.com to be the
ultimate target, and I think that Bill misinterpreted you to mean that
example.com was your ISP.

I suspect that your ISP is blocking outgoing port 25. You can verify
this by trying to telnet directly to port 25 on a public MX. If so, you
should configure exim to use your ISP's mailserver as a smarthost.
dpkg-recongfigure will give you that option without having to edit the
config files.

- Marc