[exim] acl_verify_message not expanding?

Author: Stephen Gran
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] acl_verify_message not expanding?
Hello all,

Maybe I am just misreading the spec, but I was hoping somebody could
just point out the obvious to me here. What I am hoping to do is, after
the MAIL FROM:, verify the sender, and store the response in a variable.
Then at RCPT TO: time, I check the variable and take appropriate action.
Here is the relevant snippet of the mail acl:

  warn condition   = ${if !def:acl_c0 {true}{false}}
       condition   = ${if !def:acl_c1 {true}{false}}
       !acl        = acl_whitelist_local_deny
       !verify     = sender/defer_ok
       set acl_m1  = Sender verify failed: $acl_verify_message

  warn condition   = ${if !def:acl_c0 {true}{false}}
       condition   = ${if !def:acl_c1 {true}{false}}
       condition   = ${if !def:acl_m1 {true}{false}}
       !dnslists   = dsn.rfc-ignorant.org/$sender_address_domain
       !acl        = acl_whitelist_local_deny
       !verify     = sender/callout=30s,defer_ok
       set acl_m1  = Sender verify failed: $acl_verify_message

And in the rcpt acl:
  deny   condition    = ${if def:acl_m1 {true}{false}}
         !acl         = acl_whitelist_local_deny
         !local_parts = postmaster
         log_message  = $acl_m1
         message      = $acl_m1

But, I always see this in the logs:

2005-02-15 18:34:49 H=fakedomain.com (me) [255.255.255.255] F=<joe@???> rejected RCPT steve@???: Sender verify failed:

So $acl_verify_message doesn't expand. Running it with d+all, I see that
even during the mail acl, it is an emtpy string. This is true even if
during the mail acl a callout is made.

This is:
Exim version 4.34 #1 built 05-Jan-2005 11:07:49
Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2004
Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 3.2.9: (May 26, 2004)
Support for: iconv() IPv6 PAM Perl GnuTLS
Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch cdb dbm dbmnz dnsdb dsearch ldap ldapdn ldapm mysql nis nis0 passwd pgsql
Authenticators: cram_md5 plaintext spa
Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral iplookup manualroute queryprogram redirect
Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore/mbx autoreply lmtp pipe smtp
Fixed never_users: 0
Contains exiscan-acl patch revision 21 (c) Tom Kistner [http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan/]
Configuration file is /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated

So what am I missing here?

Thanks,
|  Stephen Gran                  |  "During the race   We may eat your     |
|  steve@???             | dust,   But when you graduate,   You'll |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | work for us."  -- Reed College cheer    |