Re: [exim] Using exim over a GPRS connection

Author: Jan Suchanek
To: Jim Roberts
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Using exim over a GPRS connection
Hello,

> Jan,
>
> I once had trouble with an in-line SMTP proxy (aka Norton Antivirus
> scanner for outgoing email), because I was using TLS, and the proxy did
> not know how to handle encryption. Had to disable either TLS or
> outgoing scanning, couldn't do both. In your case, is it possible that
> the GPRS connection involves a "middleman" SMTP proxy which does not
> know how to handle encryption? This would be my guess, since you are
> getting as far as seeing a connection attempt at your server. Try
> disabling TLS long enough to test this.

Disabling TLS is not really an option. But it seems that you are right.
Using an other ISP (in Austria) made it possible to send mails. It has
to be a ISP problem.

> Now, as another poster pointed out, you might have to use something
> other than port 25 (due to diversion by your provider), and if your PDA
> is using a M$ email client, it probably does not know how to do TLS on
> any port other than 25, and will revert to using SMTPS instead, for the
> encryption. The solution to this has been discussed on this list many
> times, check the archives.

I now have changed the configuration the MTA and again you are right:
now Outlook makes trouble. A little playing around with ethereal showed
in fact that after changing the port in the client to 465 or 587 Outlook
tries only to establish a SSL connection - no more TLS! Thunderbird is
more cooperative. I hope the archives will help - now that I know what I
am looking for. Thanks!

> Good luck!

Thanks again!

> Jim Roberts