Re: [exim] Using exim over a GPRS connection

Author: Jim Roberts
To: Jan Suchanek
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Using exim over a GPRS connection
> Tony Finch wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Jan Suchanek wrote:
>>
>>>I have exim 4.44 with TLS support install on our mail server. Sending
>>>mail via
>>>this server works fine from a PDA unsing a WLAN connection. Were the is
>>>no AP
>>>near I want to use a GPRS connection. The client again can connect to the
>>>server but the authentication seems not to work.
>>

>> Are you sure the client is connecting to your server and not an
>> intercepting SMTP proxy?
>
> Pretty sure... I see the connection on my server from the client... But I
> will check this...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jan

Jan,

I once had trouble with an in-line SMTP proxy (aka Norton Antivirus scanner
for outgoing email), because I was using TLS, and the proxy did not know how
to handle encryption. Had to disable either TLS or outgoing scanning,
couldn't do both. In your case, is it possible that the GPRS connection
involves a "middleman" SMTP proxy which does not know how to handle
encryption? This would be my guess, since you are getting as far as seeing
a connection attempt at your server. Try disabling TLS long enough to test
this.

Now, as another poster pointed out, you might have to use something other
than port 25 (due to diversion by your provider), and if your PDA is using a
M$ email client, it probably does not know how to do TLS on any port other
than 25, and will revert to using SMTPS instead, for the encryption. The
solution to this has been discussed on this list many times, check the
archives.

Good luck!

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.