Re: [exim] Use of hashes to fix forwarding

Author: Peter Bowyer
Subject: Re: [exim] Use of hashes to fix forwarding
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:48:22 -0500, Marc Sherman <msherman@???> wrote:
> Dennis Davis wrote:
> >
> > Certainly at least one other UK University has been successfully running a
> > similar scheme for over a year. Although I believe they don't use a hash
> > signature. Instead they include a simple header. Apparently some external
> > stuff does break, in particular eBay alerts.
>
> Could you please give some more details of this breakage with eBay alerts?

Some of the mails eBay sends are forged to look like they came from
another eBay member - if you ask a question about an item, for
example. They don't just forge the reply-to (which would be fine), or
the From: header (which might also be OK), they forge the envelope
sender as well. Which isn't.

So if one of your users asks a question about an eBay item which
another of your users is selling, you get incoming mail with your
domain in the envelope sender.

Peter