Re: [exim] Very long delay after RCPT

Author: Ben Giddings
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Very long delay after RCPT
It looks like I solved the problem. It was actually a DNS issue, rather
than an exim issue. Exim was trying to resolve some hosts, was unable
to do so, and bailed out after a while.

I used Tony Finch's suggestion and ran Exim in debugging mode and
watched what happened. I ran it as

exim4 -bd -q30m -d

I know that -bd tries to background it and -d overrides that an
foregrounds it, but I wanted to use nearly the same configuration that
gets used when I ran it from init.d

So, I saw the DNS failures and figured that was the problem.

One question though: does exim cache the results of the DNS lookups it
does? From scanning what was happening, it looked like it was trying to
resolv all the hosts in local_domains etc. multiple times. I hope it
isn't trying to look up that unchanging list every single time an
incoming email arrives. That seems pretty inefficient, if it is the case.

Anyhow, looks like the problem is solved. Thanks!

Ben