[exim] Very long delay after RCPT

Author: Ben Giddings
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Very long delay after RCPT
Hi there,

I'm using exim 4.34-10 out of Debian unstable, and am having problems
sending mail using its SMTP server.

I ran a packet capture to see what's happening, and saw the following:

S: 220 host.name.here EXMTP Exim 4.34 Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:07:55 -0500
C: EHLO [192.168.0.4]
S: 250-host.name.here Hello [192.168.0.4] [real.ip.addr.here]
S: 250-SIZE 10485760
S: 250-PIPELINING
S: 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
S: 250-STARTTLS
S: 250 HELP
C: AUTH PLAIN XXXXXXXX
S: 235 Authentication succeeded
C: MAIL FROM <my@???> SIZE=1006
S: OK
C: RCPT TO: <my@???>
S: 451 Temporary local problem - please try later
S: 421 host.name.here lost input connection

The problem is the long time between "RCPT TO:" and the response (11s),
in this case apparently causing a timeout. I've tried the same message
again, and although there a long time again (17s), this time the message
was sent.

I've tried running "exim -bs" but it doesn't have any delay at all when
it runs the rcpt check.

I'm not doing anything that seems unusual in the acl_check_rcpt section,
it isn't doing any callouts, and is only doing some simple regexp
address tests (the ones that came with the config file). It shouldn't
even be doing a reverse DNS check on the address.

I am using the callout to spamassassin documented here:
http://duncanthrax.net/exiscan-acl/exiscan-acl-spec.txt

To check incoming messages, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here,
esp. because incoming messages through the non-authenticated SMTP
service work fine.

Does anybody know what could be causing this delay? How should I
approach trying to fix it?

Ben