Re: [exim] Return to sender

Author: Ian Armstrong
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Return to sender

On Mon, Jan 31 2005 : 15:49:10, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@???> wrote:

|On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 15:20 +0100, Ian Armstrong wrote:
|> I am trying to find a way to have all returned mail sent directly back
|> to the sender, instead of to the postmaster, which is happening at the
|> moment. All my users are in a mysql database. I have searched for a
|> solution, but to no avail.

|Are you talking about mail which your users have sent but which is
|returned another system?

Yes.

|If so, what you describe is not normal --
|you'll have to explain enough about your configuration that we can see
|what you did wrong. This could be caused by the reverse-path being
|incorrectly set on outgoing mail -- are messages sent via a web
|interface,

Yes, all mail is sent from a web interface.

|thus all being owned by the web server, whose mail ends up in
|your postmaster mailbox?
|
|Or are you talking about mail which is _incoming_ to your site, which
|you are trying to return?

No. My site is being used by several evening schools, teaching adults how to use email. They often send mail to non-existent, or wrongly formulated addresses. When this mail is returned, it is being sent to 'mail@???'. What I would like, is to have it returned to the sender, e.g. 'user@???'.

It is quite possible that I have made some error in the 'exim.conf' file.

Thanks for your help.
Ian.