Re: [exim] Return to sender

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Ian Armstrong
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Return to sender
On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 15:20 +0100, Ian Armstrong wrote:
> I am trying to find a way to have all returned mail sent directly back
> to the sender, instead of to the postmaster, which is happening at the
> moment. All my users are in a mysql database. I have searched for a
> solution, but to no avail.

Are you talking about mail which your users have sent but which is
returned another system? If so, what you describe is not normal --
you'll have to explain enough about your configuration that we can see
what you did wrong. This could be caused by the reverse-path being
incorrectly set on outgoing mail -- are messages sent via a web
interface, thus all being owned by the web server, whose mail ends up in
your postmaster mailbox?

Or are you talking about mail which is _incoming_ to your site, which
you are trying to return? Then in the cases where it's not returnable,
it ends up frozen and your postmaster is notified. In that case, you
should fix your configuration so that you're not accepting mail which
you'll later bounce; make sure you reject it at the time it's first
offered to you instead.

--
dwmw2