[exim] inbox slow mail retrieval

Author: Leonardo Boselli
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] inbox slow mail retrieval
A strage behaviour:
One HD broke, so I reinstalled on a new disk alla the system, getting
most of the configuration and files from previous disk. (debian sarge)
Only differences:
kernel 2.6 instead of 2.4
exim 4 instead of exim 3
ext3 instead of ext2
All went fine, inclusive of the personalization to exim.conf, well handed
by the converted.
... Almost fine ...
when i try to read e-mail either using pine or with imap the process wait
for about 80 seconds, before giving me access.
using imap this delay is present each time there is an authentication.
on pop i i tried and the delay is after i submit the password ... before
giving me ok it wait a loooomg time, then it works ok.
another anomaly is this: if i give as an user the command
mail
alone, it start the mail readers.
On this newly installed machine it says there ar no messages, even iv
/var/mail/username has tons of messages.
I suppose that it does not find inbox, and just exit, while pine and pop
try to retrieve the inbox around the systemn, and after they find it
continue.
Note that alsi if i set in pine the mailbox as /var/mail/leo it has the same
delay !
What is wrong ?
where in te configuration files is the inbox address used by mail ?

--
Leonardo Boselli
Nucleo Informatico e Telematico del Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile