Re: [exim] remote courier

Author: Ruth Ivimey-Cook
To: Simon Chappell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] remote courier
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Simon Chappell wrote:

>how can i configure Exim to deliver to the remote courier Imap server
>but still retain the features of exim like bouncing invalid address's
>etc.. as we found that we where getting thousands of emails going to
>postmaster that where to invalid or expired user's.

For my (much smaller) server, I decided to set up a local file of the IMAP
users, as I decided that this was the easiest thing to do. I use curys IMAP,
and it's set to verify users against the system password list, so my exim
list limits that to just the acceptable users.

I know some people use LDAP and/or MySQL to verify/route both IMAP and Exim. I
would think this is probably your best course: set up one of OpenLDAP or
MySQL, and get Courier and Exim using it for Login/AUTH verification, local
user address determination.

Not having used Courier, I don't know how to do it, but I know it's possible
for exim. I believe I could set Cyrus up to do it, although Cyrus always seems
a pain to configure :-(

HTH,

Ruth

--