[exim] How to set up ACL whitelist & blacklist

Author: Ruth Ivimey-Cook
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] How to set up ACL whitelist & blacklist
Hi folks,

I thought I would set up a facility to define a white & black lists for
incoming mail that would otherwise fail the ACL. I want it to be keyed on the
incoming sender address (MAIL FROM, not mail header). I thought that:

accept sender = lsearch;/etc/exim/whitelist_senders

deny sender = lsearch;/etc/exim/blacklist_senders

would do the trick. However, my simple tests using exim -bs didn't work, so I
guess I got something wrong. I had blacklist_senders contain:

-----------------------
ruth@???
-----------------------

and then tried exim -bs ... RCPT TO:<ruth@???>, which exim accepted as
ok... not what I wanted.

Note to Philip:
Please could you be a bit more explicit in the spec.html docs section 38.12:
"sender" exactly what the key is? I assume it is "sender@domain", but it
doesn't say that.

Thanks,

Ruth