Re: [exim] How to set up ACL whitelist & blacklist

Author: Ruth Ivimey-Cook
To: Fred Viles
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to set up ACL whitelist & blacklist
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Fred Viles wrote:

>On 21 Jan 2005 at 22:45, Ruth Ivimey-Cook wrote about
>    "[exim] How to set up ACL whitelist ":

>| deny sender = lsearch;/etc/exim/blacklist_senders
>
>senders =, I assume you mean?

Sorry, yes. I had to retype this for the mail.

>| and then tried exim -bs ... RCPT TO:<ruth@???>, which exim accepted as
>| ok... not what I wanted.
>
>Maybe another typo? did you try MAIL FROM: <ruth@???>?

Brain-failure time. Yes, of course!

>FWIW, I use @@lsearch for this same purpose so I can list multiple
>users per domain in the file. And as opposed to an accept, I have:

Sounds like a Good Thing to me!

>aol.com:    a_b_s_ : Stooffixer : WillowKPR : Gsweetnova

>| Note to Philip:
>| Please could you be a bit more explicit in the spec.html docs section 38.12:
>| "sender" exactly what the key is? I assume it is "sender@domain", but it
>| doesn't say that.
>
>Documentation gets pretty unwieldy if terms are defined every time
>they are used. "sender of the message" is defined more explicitly in
>section 11.1 (Terminology), which says:
>
>The envelope contains a sender address (to which bounce messages
>should be delivered), and any number of recipient addresses.
>References to the sender or the recipients of a message usually mean
>the addresses in the envelope.

I see what you mean. OTOH, when looking at a document non-linearly, as happens
when you're looking for a specific answer, such notes often get ignored.
Perhaps more use could be made of hyperlinking?

Regards,

Ruth

--
Ruth Ivimey-Cook