Re: [exim] How to configure exim deliver to a local addressv…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Alan Reider
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to configure exim deliver to a local addressvia remote_smtp?
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Alan Reider wrote:

> So is it indeed possible to force exim to route via SMTP even though the
> address is local?

If the IP address is generated by a router, look at the "self=send"
option. If the ip address is generated by a transport, look at the
"allow_localhost" option.

An example of the second case:

----- A router ----

some_router:
  driver = accept
  check_local_user    (if that's what you want)
  .... other conditions, e.g. check the domain, or whatever
  transport = local_to_smtp

----- A transport -----

local_to_smtp:
driver = smtp
hosts = 127.0.0.1
port = 5555
allow_localhost

That would send all addresses that match the conditions in the router to
port 5555 on 127.0.0.1. It assumes that this is sensible thing to do!

Hang on a bit. When you say "the address is local", do you mean the *IP*
address or the *email* address? My comments above refer mainly to the
former. If the latter, then remember that Exim has no concept of "local
email address". All it knows about are different domains. So you can
pick off addresses in any particular domain and send them where you
like.

If you want to send all addresses in a given domain to a particular
host, you can use a manualroute router with the standard smtp transport.

I haven't kept up with this thread, so I don't know in detail what you
are trying to do. I hope the above helps.