Re: [exim] How to configure exim deliver to a local address …

Author: Peter Bowyer
Subject: Re: [exim] How to configure exim deliver to a local address via remote_smtp?
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 01:04:37 -0500, exim-user <exim@???> wrote:
> I have an smtp server (S1) which relays incoming mail on port 25 to exim on
> the same box on another port behind a firewall. S1 rewrites, among other
> things the envelope-from as SPFLocalpart@???
>
> Bounces to SPFLocalpart@??? are handled by (S1), but if
> example.com rejects the message in session but _after_ the DATA phase, then
> Exim accepts the message from S1 and attempts to deliver a bounce message to
> bounce.myhost.com. This fails with the 'lowest numbered MX record points to
> local host' error or similar error if bounce.myhost.com is defined as a
> hubbed_host.
>
> I want this bounce to be handled by S1 which will rewrite the RCPT-TO
> (SPFLocalpart@???) as the original sender (and relay it to Exim
> for forwarding).
>
> Maybe I can get around it by assigning an alternate ip to bounce.myhost.com.
> Or just doing the forwarding within Exim.
>
> But my questions is, is it possible to force exim to route this bounce via
> SMTP even though the address is local?

A manualroute router should enable you to get the messages across to
the correct server.

route-bounces:
driver = manualroute
domains = bounce.myhost.com
route_data = <IP address of server which should get the bounces>
transport = remote_smtp

It needs to go ahead of any other router which might handle the domain
in question.

See
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/spec_20.html#IX1688

Peter