Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses

Author: Alan McConnell
To: exim-users
CC: ph10
Subject: Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses
On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 06:55:19PM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:

> I do not grok eximconfig. All I understand is basic Exim configuration
> files, 'cause that's what I designed. Is eximconfig a Debian thing?

    <g>  It indeed seems to be a Debian thing.  It is unfortunately
    purged from my new Debian system(see below).  I wouldn't worry
    about it, it doesn't work very well.

> I am afraid you misunderstand the way Exim works.

    Truer words were never spoken/written.

> many times before, I designed Exim for use on permanently connected
> systems. The fact that it can be used on dial up ones is useful, but
> rather fortuitous.)

    <LOL>  I have yet to see an existence proof.

> No idea what "option 3" is. You'll need to find an eximconfig expert, or
> else learn about basic Exim configs. The URL that Tony Finch posted is a
> good start - it does more or less exactly what you want.

    "more or less exactly" is phraseology that will stick with me
    for a long time.

> Look at the configuration that Tony pointed you at. I didn't look in
> detail, but it looked as if it does what you want.

    Wonderful.  It has about a dozen options, all of which must
    be tried and experimented with . . .

> There is no need to apologize. Every Exim user was once a newbie.
> However, I don't think I can usefully continue this thread much more,
> because I have said all I know about this particular topic.

    I spent yesterday afternoon grabbing postfix and installing it.
    It now does pretty much what I want.  So exim will soon be a
    rather unhappy memory for me.

It remains to thank Mr Hazel and a couple of others for at least responding.
Although their disinterest in helping an (erstwhile) eximnewbie to
do something elementary is superb.

Best wishes to all,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
    "We are easy to manage; a gregarious people, full of sentiment,