Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Alan McConnell
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How exim handles dynamically assigned addresses
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Alan McConnell wrote:

> It remains to thank Mr Hazel and a couple of others for at least responding.
> Although their disinterest in helping an (erstwhile) eximnewbie to
> do something elementary is superb.

I'm the author of Exim, damnit! I'm NOT disinterested in helping Exim
users, as the very many posts I make to this mailing list will bear
witness. I wouldn't bother writing software if I didn't want to see
people use it.

However, there are only 24 hours in each day. I cannot give "individual
tuition" to everybody. Therefore, I try to point them at the background
information they need - in the Exim manual and in the Exim book. I did
my best in this case to point to the areas where you would have to
change the configuration, but in fact I forgot about the easiest method.
Luckily Tony Finch reminded me about it (namely, the headers_rewrite
option for transports). In fact, a look at the index of the Exim manual
shows up "rewriting at transport time" that leads you straight to this
option. A grep of spec.txt for rewrite would also find this option.

Two lines in your smtp transport (headers_rewrite and return_path) would
achieve what you want.

Somehow, however, the language I write seems not to be clear enough for
you. I'm sorry about that. However, I am pleased you have solved your
general problem. Exim is just one of a number of available MTAs, each
with its own culture, and different cultures suit different people.