Re: [exim] SPF Question

Autor: Fred Viles
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] SPF Question
On 2 Jan 2005 at 13:54, Marc Perkel wrote about
    "[exim] SPF Question":

| I'm trying out the SPF code for the first time and I have a question.

| So - is this safe? Will I get any false positives?

Depends on your definition of "false positive". In the sense that
the policy decision made by the administrator of the sender's domain
is being followed correctly, no. In the sense that otherwise
legitimate senders may not expect oe want that policy to have the
effect it has, yes.

| Lets say that a person has an email address joe@??? and that
| email forwards to an account on my server joe@???. Will there be
| any errors relating to domain1.com being allowed to forward the message
| to domain2.com if the SPF record is restrictive?

If the forwarding server does not implement sender address rewriting
specifically to work around the fact that SPF breaks forwarding, yes.

| Is SFP smart enough to
| look at all the received lines and figure it out?

SPF does not call for processing Received headers, no. It would be
foolish to do so, of course, Received headers, like all other
message data, it easily forgable.

- Fred