Re: [exim] Using Exim For Everything

Autor: Peter Bowyer
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Using Exim For Everything
Vahric MUHTARYAN <vahric@???> wrote:
> I searched google and some other search engines , also I'm FreeBSD
> fanatic and search all freebsd-isp list for this situation.
> But your right I have to ask more specific questions, but first I
> wait What type response will be back ?! I asked this question directly
> because too many people using qmail-ldap but I like exim if I can
> find out a solution with exim I will be happy.
>
> 1) Really I have to learn LDAP too, But you say with LDAP I could
> distribute data several server with Mysql or PostgreSQL we can't or
> maybe mysql cluster maybe use isn't it ? !

It's quite easy to distribute data to several servers with MySQL - either
have the slave servers consult a central database (or cluster) directly, or
replicate the database around all the servers. The replication feature in
MySQL is very robust, we've been using it for several years.

> 2) I have to search I think but I don't know which application I will
> use POP3/IMAP or Courier-imap but I don't think so give ability of
> IMAP just pop3 enough . Because When webmail is gread and local
> connectivity is growing day by day maybe IMAP .

Courier IMAP is simple to implement, and gives you flexible authentication
(LDAP, MySQL etc). If you're ever going to need IMAP, I'd suggest go
straight for Courier - use it for POP3 to begin with, and IMAP is there for
free when you need it.

> And also I asked this question to list because of How can I scale ?!
> For example qmail users can scale 1,500,000 or 2,000,000 mailbox.

So can Exim. Many discussions here on the subject, but several million
mailboxes is not unusual. You'll need to plan your hardware accordingly if
you want to scale that big, of course.

Peter