Re: [exim] Date Stamp Disappears

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Date Stamp Disappears
On 12/20/2004 9:15, "Tim Jackson" <lists@???> wrote:

> On 20 Dec 2004, Marc Sherman wrote:
>
>> Tim Jackson:
>>> accept hosts = +relay_from_hosts
>>>        control = submission

>> Is that an important thing to do for the general case where a central
>> exim server is accepting mail for a number of local clients?
>
> Not unless your clients are sending out in a way that needs to be "fixed
> up" - check the manual for the details of the fixes that are done.
>
>> Or is this only important if you're using older/broken MUAs on your
>> client machines?
>
> Yes, this. In most cases, you're probably OK. Most mail from proper mail
> clients is OK - in my experience, it's usually embedded (or similarly
> dumb/basic) devices (or dumb software) sending notifications of some kind
> that need to be fixed up.

However, Outlook 2003 stopped sending Message-Id: headers, leaving it to the
Exchange server MS assumes everyone runs. (Seemingly, the geniuses at MS
who made the decision felt that the header as produced by Outlook was
revealing internal network detail.) This is another reason to run control =
submission in cases where it is appropriate.

The lack of Message-Id: is not as visible as the lack of Date:

Interestingly, Henry's server carefully installs a Message-Id: header (which
appears to contain the date in seconds since epoch).

--John