Re: [exim] shadow_transport

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] shadow_transport
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, David wrote:

> > > Any plans to allow shadow_transport on remote smtp transports ?
> >
> > No plans. Back in Exim 3 days there was an implementation difficulty that I
> > suspect no longer exists. However, there would be a restriction that it
> > would have to be another remote transport. In which case, the effect would
> > be pretty much the same as supplying "shadow_hosts" that work like
> > fallback_hosts, but on success rather than on failure.
>
> we would like to use it to deliver 'message sent' notifications to
> local users that have requested a return receipt, as this is a feature
> some users have asked us.

That is not the same thing at all as a shadow transport, which would
deliver another copy of the outgoing message. What you want is on the
WishList already:

(244) 01-Mar-04 ? Add an on-success event to transports

This could just be an expansion string, whose value is either ignored or
logged, but it could be used to run SQL updates or run programs etc.
However, what is "success" when a transport has multiple recipients?

Note the final question. What do your users actually want in that situation?