Re: [exim] tnef attachments

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: John W. Baxter
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [exim] tnef attachments
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, John W. Baxter wrote:

> You could try to talk the Outlook users into switching their setting
> for the format of styled messages from RTF to HTML.

I don't mean to seem stroppy, but what on *Earth* do you hope to gain
from that? RTF is a reasonably documented - even if proprietary -
format for word-processor data. HTML is something that /aims/ to be
totally different, and MS's abuse of quasi-HTML pretending to be a
word-processor format could be one of the worst things that ever
happened to the web - by volume if not by weight, anyway.

On top of that you have all the weaknesses that HTML-format email is
notorious for, including privacy intrusions and security loopholes.

> You have so many that seems unlikely to work, however.

I really didn't want to get involved in this, but...

Not only is it unlikely to work, but if it's a solution to anything,
it's to a problem at a different conceptual level. As I understand it
TNEF format is effectively a packaging (somewhat analogous to MIME),
rather than being an application-level format. So promoting a
different application-level format doesn't seem to me to be the
answer. Sorry to seem so contrary.