[exim] problem with greylisting and retries

Author: Daniel Tiefnig
To: Exim-Users
Subject: [exim] problem with greylisting and retries
Hej,

given a host that uses greylisting (recipient + sender + sender IP) and
an exim host that tries to deliver multiple messages to *one* address at
the greylisting host, we have the problem, that messages don't get
delivered as long as new messages from different senders arrive. Why?
It's due to exims hints DB that remembers it got a temporary error for
that recipient address, and so exim will not try to deliver the messages
from the queue when it runs over it.

We're experiencing delays of several hours to days due to this problem.
Doesn't anybody else think this is quite bad? Does nobody else have the
same problem? Am I missing anything obvious we can do about that,
besides dumping exims hints DB? Does nobody else think greylisting is
one of the stupidest things people invented since HTML e-mail?

lg,
daniel