Re: [exim] tnef attachments

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] tnef attachments
On 8 Dec 2004, De Leeuw Guy wrote:

> I search the way, in exim, to convert the stupid winmail.dat attachement
> to traditionnal mime format for each messages that come in tnef format.
> It is possible ?

Not directly in Exim. You could probably call an external TNEF decoder and
use it as a transport filter, but I would discourage you from doing so,
because it encourages senders to think that it's OK to send this kind of
junk around and that the recipients will "deal with it".

If it's causing you hassle, you need to pass that hassle on to the people
causing it (the senders). This is often easier said than done, I realise,
but it's the only way to attack the problem and if we ("we" being those
who are unfairly asked to deal with this mindless nonsense) all do it then
it, collectively, saves everyone a great deal of effort.

(especially when it's so easy to fix this particular problem at the sender
side, but much more difficult to fix at the recipient side)

Tim