Re: [exim] IPv6 address comparison, and callout vs VRFY

Author: David Woodhouse
To: exim-users
CC: Wouter Verhelst
Subject: Re: [exim] IPv6 address comparison, and callout vs VRFY
On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 10:16 +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> The point that bothers me is that in a host list in an ACL or router,
> there are in effect two identifiers, the IP address and the name. Both
> are implicit. The question the is: if a match_host condition is
> implemented, do you allow the caller to specify an IP address, or a
> name, or both? Clearly one can come up with some rules such as "specify
> only the IP address, and if a name is required, it is looked up", but I
> was never sure about what would be right, so I just ducked out of doing
> it.

My understanding was that existing host lists take only an IP address,
generally obtained from getpeername(). They look up PTR records to find
a name if they need to, depending on the contents of the host list in
question. But I don't ever see where their input is a _name_. Am I
missing something?

--
dwmw2