Re: [exim] DENY vs. DROP

Author: Dan Shoop
To: Marc Perkel, exim-users@exim.org
CC:
Subject: Re: [exim] DENY vs. DROP
At 1:01 PM -0800 12/8/04, Marc Perkel wrote:
>OK - I think I get it but maybe I don't.
>
>When whould I use deny vs. drop. Seems to me that any time I'm
>denying someone I might was well drop the connection? Or are there
>situations where I might deny something but let them continue?

It's my understanding that DROP just drops the connection, while DENY
issues an error and allows the connection to stay up until the
session ends. The former is what you'd do if you you knew you had a
spammer, but the latter is more civil. If you drop a connection the
remote MTA could/should retry.
--

-dhan

Dan Shoop                                                   AIM: iWiring
Systems & Networks Architect                     http://www.iwiring.net/
shoop@???                                 http://www.ustsvs.com/

pgp key fingerprint: FAC0 9434 B5A5 24A8 D0AF 12B1 7840 3BE7 3736 DE0B

iWiring designs and supports Internet systems and networks based on
Mac OS X, unix, and Open Source application technologies and offers
24x7, guaranteed support to registered clients, at affordable rates.