Re: [exim] smtp_accept_max

Author: Dennis Davis
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] smtp_accept_max
>Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:54:43 +0000 (GMT)
>From: Chris Edwards <chris@???>
>To: "Exim-Users (E-mail)" <exim-users@???>
>Subject: Re: [exim] smtp_accept_max
>
>On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Tony Finch wrote:
>
>| Our settings are currently:
>|
>| smtp_accept_max_per_host = 10
>
>Interesting. Glad to hear others are doing this.

I'm somewhat more restrictive. Each of our frontline mail servers
uses an expansion for this:

smtp_accept_max_per_host = \
${lookup{$sender_host_address}SEARCH*{CONNECTSPERIP}{$value}}

the default in the above expansion is 5. A few trusted hosts
are allowed a greater number. A few who have pissed me off by
persistently using undeliverable addresses are allowed one and
automatically tarpitted when they continue in this behaviour.

And, because I should practise what I preach, I have:

remote_max_parallel = 5

>The only problem we've had reported with this sort of limit is some
>subscribed-for bulk mails from a company called Research Fortnight.
>Every day they send "research alert" mails to a couple of thousand
>staff

>I'd be interested if any site gets (and more interestingly, defers)
>mail from 217.169.39.236.

Haven't seen anything from these people. But our set up would
treat them much the same as yours.