[exim] "Lost incoming connection" on BSMTP?

Author: Lehmann
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] "Lost incoming connection" on BSMTP?
[I am not on the list]

Hi,

I use a setup where every mail is first devivered into a BSMTP file (using
an appendfile transport), which is transfered by other means and then fed
into exim again.

The scripts haven't really changed for about 8 years. With exim3, I also
never had any problem. The inner loop looks like this:

   for mail in q*; do
      test -f "$mail" && ( test -f "deleted/$mail" || ( $EXIM -odq -bS <"$mail"
               && ln -f "$mail" deleted/ ) )
   done

i.e. for every file, it runs exim -odq -bS, with the mail as input. The
extra processing is just there to ensure that no mail gets lost should the
script be interrupted.

Starting with exim4 (i.e. a long time ago :), sometimes a message bounces
(this is from a mail sent my ezmlm):

     marc%localhost@???
       (generated from marc@localhost)
       local delivery failed

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

   ------ marc%localhost@???
          (generated from marc@localhost) ------

An error was detected while processing a file of BSMTP input.
The error message was:

     421 Lost incoming connection

The SMTP transaction started in line 0.
The error was detected in line 3.
The rest of the batch was abandoned.

[the full message follows]

And here I give up. I cannot relate the error message to any bug or
problem in my setup, and therefore, am unable to fix it :(

I have no idea how reading from a file could result in "lost incoming
connection". Also, from what I can tell, the mail was indeed complete in
the BSMTP file (exim could echo it completely), yet exim detects an error
in line 3.

Any ideas? Any additional information that would help anybody to
understand the problem?

Thanks a lot for any insights!

The bsmtp transport looks like this, btw.:

   bsmtp:
     driver = appendfile
     batch_max = 100
     directory = /var/spool/mail/${domain}_bsmtp
     message_prefix =
     message_suffix =
     use_bsmtp
     user = mail
     group = mail

I use the standard debian packages for exim.

--
                The choice of a                              |