Re: [exim] email notification

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] email notification
* Brent Clark <bclark@???> [20041202 15:24]: wrote:
> Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:

> >>1. Find someone who will
> >>2. Live with your configuration as it is; it's unreliable in the sense
> >>that mail can "disappear", but at least it's not causing any problems to
> >>anyone else, so it's probably the best you can do in the circumstances.
> >
> > 3. Swear and curse the name of Eric S Raymond forever for his apparently
> > great idea to make fetchmail deliver by SMTP.
> >
> >MBM
> >
> I hear what your saying, but on the other side, I am so glad it was
> coded, created
> Due to the country im in (ZA).
> Over here we only have one monopolistic Telephone company (which
> hopefully is all changing)
> Therefore they dictate what type of connections will be available
>
> Currently there is only:
> Normal phone dial up (max 56k)
> ISDN
> ADSL (512k max and has a 3gb cap)
> and Diginet.
>
> Freaking Diginet is soooo over priced, it makes it virtually not
> affordable (+/- R10 000 for 64K diginet line)
> And then there is ADSL (what I have), but the problem is that we dont
> get a static IP therefore I am forced to create pop3 accounts on my ISP
> box (more Rands get paid) and the I need fetchmail to fetch the mail,
> and because its a dynamic ip, I have to smart host my mail to the isp,
> other wise the RBL will sort if out for me, so DNS lookups are not an
> option.
>
> If any want more info look at www.hellkom.co.za (its not a satanic site,
> before anyone gets excited).
>
> Therefore, in closing, to anyone that stays in the UK, has broadband and
> an uncapped connection, I envy you.

ZA is in the league of "1st world" in Africa, I believe on the same
footing with Egypt.
Brent, you should migrate the KE (East Africa), if just to get better
deals on Internet access. We have one Uplink provider (unless you have a
VSAT licence) and they do suck, but only to the ISPs. The way you put
it, it sounds like ZA is as bad as ZW.
OK, I don't want to risk prolonging my OT path, but if that is what goes
on in ZA, I really pity you.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post