Re: [exim] email notification

Author: Peter Bowyer
Subject: Re: [exim] email notification
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:22:53 +0200, Brent Clark <bclark@???> wrote:
> I hear what your saying, but on the other side, I am so glad it was
> coded, created
> Due to the country im in (ZA).
> Over here we only have one monopolistic Telephone company (which
> hopefully is all changing)
> Therefore they dictate what type of connections will be available
>
> Currently there is only:
> Normal phone dial up (max 56k)
> ISDN
> ADSL (512k max and has a 3gb cap)
> and Diginet.
>
> Freaking Diginet is soooo over priced, it makes it virtually not
> affordable (+/- R10 000 for 64K diginet line)
> And then there is ADSL (what I have), but the problem is that we dont
> get a static IP therefore I am forced to create pop3 accounts on my ISP
> box (more Rands get paid) and the I need fetchmail to fetch the mail,
> and because its a dynamic ip, I have to smart host my mail to the isp,
> other wise the RBL will sort if out for me, so DNS lookups are not an
> option.

I don't know how expensive it would seem to you, but for a few tens of
GBP per month you could rent a small dedicated Linux server or a
shared-but-partitioned user-mode Linux server from a hosting provider
and run your mailhost there - could either POP/IMAP directly to it or
have it deliver to yours over SMTP.

I can't remember the last time I had to use an ISP's smart host, or
the email address they gave me...

Peter