Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today'…

Author: Philip Hazel
Subject: Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today's systems
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> If someone really wants to use e-mail in the same way it was used on
> Unix systems in the pre-internet days then I suppose they should be able
> to use "@localhost" and to use a fancy modern MTA that's been configured
> to work in a "local-only" mode. In fact such a setup could even run an
> SMTP listener on 127.0.0.1 just so that modern SMTP-only MUAs could also
> be used to send local mail too. :-)

Now that I think more about this, is a separate mode really needed? Exim
can already be configured to recognize only one domain, do only local
deliveries, and to listen only on 127.0.0.1 and ::1. The real point of
mua_wrapper was the synchronous delivery. That is not relevant for
TCP/IP input, and I would guess isn't actually needed for "local only"
mail systems.