Re: [exim] Moving users from Exim 3.35 to Exim4 on another s…

Author: Christian Schmidt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Moving users from Exim 3.35 to Exim4 on another server
Hallo Stanley,

Stanley Brøns, 25.11.2004 (d.m.y):

> A n00b question here...
> I have ~10 users on an old Debian Woody (Exim 3.35) that I want to move
> to a Debian Sarge (Exim4) running on another machine. Both mailboxes and
> passwords will need to be intact (I don't have the users psw.)
> How do I acomplish this in the easiest possible way? (remember the
> n00b part... gui tools are preferred, although not nescesarily a must ;)

Take a look at the files
/etc/group
/etc/passwd
/etc/shadow
In each of these files, you'll find one single entry (one line) for
each of your users. Simply copy these lines into the corresponding
files on the target system (Sarge). Now this system knows about the
users.
Next step: Use tar to create an archive containing the users' home
directories and another archive containing the spool files located in
/var/mail. Transfer these archives to the target system and unpack
them there in the corresponding locations.

While transferring all this data, I would stop exim on both
machines...

It's also possible to do the creation of the archive, the transfer and
the "untaring" in one single step using ssh, but I can't remember the
command line... ;-)

hth,
Christian Schmidt
--
Ein Onkel, der gutes mitbringt, ist besser als eine Tante, die bloß
Klavier spielt.