Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today'…

Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] about Sender: and envelope reverse-path in today's systems
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:25:55 +0000, Tony Finch <dot@???> wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Marc Haber wrote:
>> It is likely amongst the user base of the majority of systems in use
>> nowadays that the owner neither has a static FQDN nor a static IP
>> address. And you don't want to have e-mails going out with
>> "debian_user@???" since that FQDN might belong
>> to somebody else in two minutes.
>
>Try reading the documentation for qualify_domain. It doesn't have to have
>anything to do with the machine's current reverse DNS. You should use your
>friendly configuration script to get a working mail domain from the admin.

It is likely amongst the user base of the majority of systems in use
nowadays that the owner does not have his own working mail domain.

>> Where can I obtain exactly the same data that exim uses to generate
>> the Sender:
>
>Perhaps by reading the documentation? Try section 44.14.

Actually, I have read the documentation, but since I have read with a
different goal in mind, I have parsed "default qualify domain" as the
local host name instead of something configurable.

You're of course right, no need to take the discussion to a personal
level.

>> It is. If the From: has the right value for the authenticated sender
>> (which is almost never the case in today's use),
>> X-Authenticated-Sender or whatever it is named can be omitted as well.
>
>How is the recipient supposed to interpret it, when they don't know the
>specification for the header? They might think that the absence of the
>header means that the message was forged. It's better from the protocol
>design point of view to always insert the header. It's also easier to
>configure Exim to do this.

You might be right here again. However, it is the custom in E-Mail not
to add redundant information. Generating Reply-To: equalling the From:
is frowned upon, and exim takes care not to generate Sender: equalling
From: as well.

Greetings
Marc