Re: [exim] Yet another Greylisting local_scan package

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Tor Slettnes
CC: 'Exim Users', Andrew Ford
Subject: Re: [exim] Yet another Greylisting local_scan package
On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 11:16:49PM -0700, Tor Slettnes wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2004, at 09:23, Andrew Ford wrote:
>
> >I have written yet another greylisting local_scan module for exim.
> >This one is fully customizable and uses MySQL for its tables. The
> >documentation needs expanding and the utilities for extracting stats
> >and cleaning the greylist table are yet to be written, but it seems
> >quite solid to me (I wrote a Perl test harness to unit-test it, which
> >is included in the distribution).
> >
> >Pick it up at: http://andrew-ford.com/exim/
> >
> >All feedback welcome.
>
> Because local_scan() happens after the DATA has been received, you are
> not saving any bandwidth. (As a matter of fact, because legitimate
> mail is sometimes retried several times, you are actually wasting it).
>
> Better to use implementations that can be done after "RCPT TO:", before
> DATA.

(yes, very late reply, I'm way behind on list mail as you can see,
sorry)

Right, and if you are doing greylisting after DATA, you ought to do the
conditional greylisting that SA-Exim does:
http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/sa.html
http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/files/sa-exim-cvs/README.greylisting

(in a nutshell, you only greylist people who have a somewhat high SA
score, but not high enough to reject them right away)

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key